Search This Blog

Advertisment

THE TAXI DRIVER 6

 





The Taxi Driver 


Episode 7


 

“I have been thinking, why not go back to school? You obviously can’t continue driving taxies because of the situation at hand.” Ajunwa said to Ejike. They were sitting under one of the shades in Ajunwa’s house. A bottle of McDowell’s wine was on the table and both of them had glass cups in their hands. 


It is now one month since Ejike started living with Ajunwa and boredom was creeping into his life because he never goes out. He stays indoors all day for the fear of being found out by Uju or the DPO.


“Of course I can’t continue with the taxi business. It’s clear that my life is in danger. But the thing is, I don’t know what else to do. I have being a taxi driver all my life. That’s all I know how to do.” Ejike responded. He took a sip of the drink and swallowed hard. His Adam’s apple stuck out as he swallowed the drink. He was staring into the vacant space.


“I just said you could go back to school. You once had a dream of getting a degree. You had the dream of becoming an engineer. What happened to that dream? Your WAEC result is very good. You are still young and you still have your intellect. Go back to school bro.” Ajunwa said.


“I don’t have the resources. How do you expect me to pay my fees? I’m barely recovering from the expenses I made during my wedding, and then the crisis that follow. Look, bro, I’m confused. My wedding to Uju completely ruined my life.” Ejike said. He was shedding tears. Ajunwa was greatly moved.


“Look, stop crying. The worse has not happened. Uju wanted to kill you, but here you are. You are still breathing. You are going back to school and I will be the one to pay your school fees. In fact, you are moving abroad to study at Oxford University. I have made all the arrangements for your journey. By next week, you are leaving Nigeria for the UK.” Ajunwa said.


“Is this some kind of joke or what?” Ejike asked. He fidgeted in his chair and turned facing Ajunwa directly.


“Are you for real?” Ejike asked.


“I’m not a comedian bro. Take a look at this.” Ajunwa said as he handed Ejike a parcel containing some documents.


“Everything you will need to travel is there. I have applied for admission for you and you have been accepted to study Engineering. You are leaving next week.” Ajunwa said. The glass cup Ejike was holding fell on the concrete interlocks and broke into tiny shards. He was so shocked that the only thing he could do was shouting and cries.


“Stop crying bro. You are embarrassing me. If I don’t help you, who will I help? You are just like a brother to me. Remember it was your parents who registered my WAEC for me. I owe my success to them.” Ajunwa said as he and Ejike hugged each other tightly. A week later, Ejike moved to the UK.


Meanwhile, Uju is not finding it rosy at the DPO’s house. It has been hell since their wedding was sealed in court.


Two weeks after their marriage, Uju had a miscarriage. She had a serious fight with the DPO such that she was beaten black and blue. She ended up in the hospital where she spent many days before recovering. 


“What have I got myself into? So, this DPO is a wife beater? My God, my life is ruined.” Uju said after she was discharged from the hospital. As she arrived home that day, the DPO beat her again because she said she was too tired to cook for him. Life has become hellish for Uju. There is no day that passes that she does not receive a slap or a serious insult.


Uju started shrinking in shape, size and beauty. The once beautiful lady turned into a dark horse. No one who knew her before could recognize her anymore. The DPO has turned her life into hell. But just when she thought she was suffering, something else happened.


One evening, Uju was sitting outside the house receiving fresh air when a woman walked into the DPO’s compound.


“I see he has married another wife. You are his latest punching bag right?” The woman asked when she saw Uju.


“I’m no body’s punch bag.” Uju answered.


“Don’t deny it young lady. I can see it in your face that you are suffering. The DPO, your husband is beating you. Stop covering it up. Why do women protect men that beat them? You better pack your things and leave this house before you end up with one eye like me.” The woman said. Uju got confused.


“And who are you? Who are you to tell me to leave my husband’s house?” Uju asked. She was trying to cover up her shame and put up a strong face. But this was not working with the woman who was well into her 30s. The woman knew what she was saying.


“I have not come to collect the DPO from you. He belongs in my past. But just so you know, I was married to him for five years. I left him when he beat me until I got blind in one eye. Also, I never had a child for him because I had ten miscarriages because of beating. I know he has deceived you with sweet words to marry him. Also, he is very good in bed, and this is what he uses to trap women in his hell. I advise you to run now that you are not dead. Forget the gbola and leave. Look at your face, you look like an old monkey because of beating.” The woman said before leaving the compound.


As she walked away, the woman did not turn back. She behaved like an angel with some kind of good news and she walked away after delivering the message.


Uju stood up and went inside. She went into the DPO’s private room and rummaged through his documents. She saw a marriage certificate belonging to the DPO and the woman who just walked away.


“Oh my God! This is even worse than I think. What did I get myself into.” Uju said as she went and leaned on the wall. She wept bitterly. Her heart became the definition of sorrow.


Just then, her phone rang.


“Hello.” Uju said.


“Your husband is dead.” The voice said.


“What? What do you mean? How? What happened to him?” Uju asked.


“He was shot by armed robbers during an exchange of gunfire. There is a document he asked us to give to you. Please come and pick it up at the police station.” The voice from the other end said. Uju rushed out and went straight to the police station.


When he got there, she met a strange face who introduced himself as the DPO’s lawyer. He handed a document to Uju and she immediately opened it to read.


“Dear Uju, I wrote this letter in my death bed. I have wronged you and there is nothing I can do to amend my ways. My time on this earth is up. I have lived a very rough life and it has ended very tragically. I have no child of my own because I killed them through miscarriages. I’m sure God is punishing me for my crimes. That is why I was shot today.”


“I’m very sorry for all the evil I did against you. I’m sorry for turning your life from sweetness into hell. I ruined your marriage because of my greed and desire your body. This was wrong. Forgive me. I’m aware that your husband was innocent of the armed robbery allegation, but I kept using it to sleep with you because I’m a troubled man. My first wife left me because of my evil heart. Please, find a place in your heart to forgive me.”


“I know I can never get a chance to make things right. Your husband is dead and you lost your pregnancy. There is nothing that can make those evils right. But I have instructed my lawyer to handover all my property and assets in the bank to you. I’m not paying you off. I just trust that you deserve it considering all you lost since I met you. Please, forgive me. Goodbye.” The letter read.


After reading the letter, Uju was stupefied. She said nothing to the lawyer. She just walked out of the police station. A week later, she sold all the property and donated the whole money to the orphanage.


Watch out for Episode 8 which is the last.

1 comment:

THE PREGNANT SIDE CHICK FINAL BATTLE ( LAST EPISODE)

  The Pregnant Side Chick  Episode 7 (The Last Fight) Sophia stepped into the bush with courage. She had the bag of fake money on her head. ...